Furness was built in the Palladian style between 1730-90 in rolling
wooded countryside, some 19 miles southwest of Dublin. It is a medium-sized
Georgian country house, with ornate plasterwork and woodcarvings.
It adjoins a medieval church built c.550 and extended by the Normans
in 1210. To its north stands the Longstone Rath, a 200-foot diameter
earth circle with a 20-foot standing stone at its centre.
These have been extensively surveyed and a bibliography is enclosed.
However, the best impression is had from a visit to Furness with
a guided tour. Large groups are welcome at any time by appointment.
Tel. (045) 879463 Fax: 866815. (International prefix +353
for Ireland )
Post: Furness, Naas, Co. Kildare, Ireland.